PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Defence Secretary
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 22:38
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imagine if you will, a new broom sweeping clean.

He could cancel the F35 order and buy a less capable, but more suitable, and far cheaper aircraft.

How good would that be... imagine the MOD actually gearing up for this war and the next, instead of the one before last?

For anyone rushing to type a list of reasons why we need Typhoons and F35s to see off the Soviet Hordes, I refer you to my comments on the Nimrod while under threat, and all of those on here who said we couldn't do without LRMPA, Mil SAR all over the UK, our own tanker fleet etc. etc.

We are at war with nobody as much as we are at war with white van man, where the van is white, but maybe not the man.

Not only do the great unwashed not care about Russian Bombers 200 miles east of Aberdeen at 410 heading west, they really, really do care about a guy beheading passengers on the East Coast mainline trains.

I for one, think they are right to be more worried about the real threats.

Perhaps Nuclear Weapons are the answer to terrorists, perhaps not. They certainly seem to be the answer to raising the share price of the people selling them.

Why don't the Irish have nuclear attack subs and Typhoons and aircraft carriers? Why do the Swedish Navy not have nuclear subs, capable of melting rocks? Could it be that they have decided to spend their money on emptying the bins every week instead?

The new guy really has got a huge selection of expensive things that he could cut. Without causing the UK public any real harm.