PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 733 On Ppl?
Thread: 733 On Ppl?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2003, 15:51
Obs cop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David,

I hope you reach your goal of being a pilot, but I do feel you have a lot of ground to cover. I hope that, because you have so far displayed one of the most unattractive features which the flying community tries to avoid and which would almost certainly prevent any employer from offering you a job.

Again I will explain.

The flying world is inherantly dangerous to any person who is unwilling to develop any and ALL of their skills and attributes. The worlds worst aviation disaster involving 2 747's came about due to a lack of what is know as CRM or cockpit/crew resource management. In effect, the Captain was so overbearing that the First Officer dare not question him. When the Captain made an error, it was noticed but went unchallenged and hundreds then died when the 2 planes hit in thick fog on the runway.

The development is that virtually everyone in aviation now questions poor standards and as you have found, this also translates into these forums. No-body likes being challenged, its a simple fact of life, but ignoring a challenge or being stubborn ultimately gets people killed. In effect, several people, myself included have advised you to work at your English. Some were more blunt than others, but the advice is just as valid no matter who said it or how they said it. The only person who will lose or gain from the advice is you, and no-one gains anything from putting you down.

The fact that you are so adamant that there is not a problem and that you don't care, are the undesireable traits that have claimed many lives in aviation and which have been fought against for decades. I don't know you or your abilities, but I have seen this one trait (and no doubt I am not alone). If you attack any criticism which is unsavoury then I fear your connection with aviation will be short lived. I have two pieces of advice that would help you greatly, and could even save your life in an aircraft.

1. If someone gives advice or criticises your perfomance then firstly look at yourself, then you can decide if it is justified or not. Just be aware that you may not always understand the reasoning behind it at the time, but it will be clearer further down the road.

2. Never attack someone, just because they offer criticism. There are very few people in the aviation community who say things out of spite (and you have yet to meet them!!!!!). More often than not they are trying to prevent you from finding things out in a harder more painful way. If an instructor said my landings were cr@p then I take it that they are stopping me from killing myself until I first master the technique. They are not being difficult or obstructive, they are just bluntly and firmly identifying areas I need to work on.

I don't care if you are 15 or 50, I don't see you as a dreamer or a wannabe. But if you brought your current attitude to criticism to the cockpit, you would find yourself alone and unemployed and that is not me being nasty just the harsh reality of aviation.

Regards,

Obs cop