PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Few questions from a newbie
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 20:31
Tagzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few questions from a newbie

Hi everyone, totally new to the world of flying. I hope you don't mind me asking a number of straightforward questions? I have tried googling and doing my own research but can't get a decent answer or one that's relevant to the UK.

Assuming all of the below is based on a PA28 (although not all aircraft specific). So here goes;

1) Most used aircraft I see for sale are from the 60s or 70s. Is this the norm for private pilots and aircraft used for PPL etc?

2) How does aviation insurance work? Is it personal or for every aircraft or a combination of the both? And how much would a newly qualified pilot expect to pay?

3) Can you fly between any two aerodromes and what, if any, restrictions are there to this for private pilots?

4) Can you take-off/land an aircraft outside an aerodrome in a non-emergency situation? For example, if you had your own private land that was suitable for this purpose?

5) Are there any airports that forbid private pilots entirely? I presume the likes of Heathrow do. Only ask this because I know Liverpool John Lennon is used for PPL so just wondering where the 'line' is drawn as so to speak.

6) How much is it to hangar and what's the price difference between your permanent hangar and one at an aerodrome you are visiting?

7) How much 'non-flying' time to you have to factor into a journey from the moment you arrive at an aerodrome to leaving the destination aerodrome assuming you are leaving your aircraft there for some time.

I've got loads more but I think it will be a bit much at this point. Thanks for your patience and I hope some of the questions have given you a bit of a laugh!