PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 19:07
Plazbot

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
aterpster

Being a controller and a Supervisor myself, I can positively state that there is no way on earth that a person not already listening to a frequency can jump in and immediately issue instructions to aircraft accurately let alone in the case of recovering from an error. no way, no how. never.

Do you think that the Supervisor is walking around with a headset on, Jack in hand hovering behind each and every position waiting to jump in and enact furious recovery vectors all shift long?

Whilst I don't have 44 years on the floor, my experience is measured in decades and in all that time I can think of only one instance where a qualified controller had the frequency taken off them and that was during a particularly ugly weather scenario. The controller who took the frequency was already plugged and and monitoring due to the complexity and it was easier to take it than explain what the problem was. It is still spoken about a number of years later as it was such a rare event.

I don't fly but I would expect that the suggested course of action would be like a dead heading pilot on the jump seat jumping in and executing a go around.

Probably the most absurd comment I have ever read on pprune with respect to the expectations of air traffic control.Im so annoyed by this I had to edit twice.

Last edited by Plazbot; 3rd Nov 2017 at 19:43.