PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A320 accident at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 08:40
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FPA uses baro-inertial vertical speed and therefore FPA is affected by non-standard temperatures and consequntly requires temperature correction.

With various errors possible, FPA, baro-altimeter,......it is still surprising that AC SOP's did not include a vertical profile check via ALT v DME, especially as the table is on the chart. I also find it surprising that the self-survival instincts of a pilot would not do it anyway. I've asked the question about whether it is now an SOP; no reply yet.
I hope this was not a case of a pilot NOT doing something of basic airmanship nature because it was not an SOP. It doesn't say you are not allowed it do it, just that it is not mandatory to do it. That philosophy reminds of one company that removed the SBY ILS from the Approach checklist so the more lazy guys interpreted this as it was not necessary to select it on. That struck me with sadness as it indicated that the trained monkey syndrome was too prevalent. I'm not saying that was the case in AC, just asking.