PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 23:32
APBabySitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I've noticed in this thread compared to many, there are actually quite a few guys (gals?) in here that give helpful answers to questions. So in that vein I have a question about the use of the commuting allowance.

As far as I can tell you are given $2000USD a month to get "home". I believe you can either;

1) Try your luck on standby staff travel and probably pocket a healthy balance. A question here is do you guys have access to accurate loading numbers to see what the chances of gettin on business class are? Additionally what airlines flying to Australia do you get business staff travel on? (From what I've read on here you generally aren't a fan of this method as it sets a bad precedent to the company).

2) Forego the $2,000 and take a confirmed business ticket home. Now, if you choose to fly somewhere that the ANA group does not fly directly do they assume all costs getting you there? For example if I chose to live in Perth would they fly you to Sydney then across to Perth on QF, or only get you to SYD and the rest is up to you?

3) This is the method I understand the least. Basically you pay for your own confirmed business class ticket but at a reduced rate? Or a special staff rate? If that's the case is that available year round or only in off peak? Or have I got this part completely wrong?

At what stage in the previous roster month do you advise the company what method you want to use for the next month to commute and can it be changed last minute? For instance, say next month you feel the flights will be very full so you opt for the confirmed business seat (option 1) then a day or two before your flight find business class is nearly empty, can you then change to the 2k option and fly ID90 home?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get my ducks in a row before making any big decisions. Thanks in advance.