PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality check - from someone not in the know
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 23:27
Marlon Brando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by +TSRA
This is why I alluded earlier that we can no longer consider ourselves as a professional group. Too many of our comrades have chosen to undercut everyone else. They forgave any professional integrity by choosing to work under ever decreasing working conditions. At some point, every other professional group has said "no, WE ARE worth more than that so I won't take this job" and let a position hang in the wind until the WACONS were improved.

Not so for pilots. Many of our brethren have said "to hell with everyone else; If I don't take this, someone else will. I AM worth these conditions."
I disagree with that. It's not pilot's fault. It's because of a new management process. It's name is "globalisation"

Ryanair hired Some brasilian captains. without the EU, Irish pilots would have been able to organise, syndicate, and fight for their rights. But unionise, or just organise with the French, Italians, Bulgarians, Hungarians- etc is impossible.
That's what Europe has been made for.
And for love between people of course, as they sold it it to us.

Back to the , i'm writing these lines from my hotel room in Malta, with a nice view on the boats, we fly to switzerland tomorrow.
I took my first flying lesson 5 years ago. I was 36 of age at this time.
Had to work 12 years and be lucky to get the money for my training. And learn a bit of english as well.
Ryanair and so declined my application, straight after school. Even though you pay for the interview ! I find way better, i was lucky.
I fly corporate jet, paid for my TR once the contract was signed off. Made a loan for it, flight training cost me all I had. Still paying back so far. But things get better, i make double money than in my previous job, and can expect to double it again in the next decade if everything goes well and upgrade to the left seat.

And best of all, I don't work anymore !
I fly now.
I enjoy every moment. Well, almost. Wake up at 03am for exemple, no. But once i'm in the plane, I really don't feel i'm working. It can be challenging and demanding sometimes, but in a good way. It's a positive stress. In my previous job, it was a very negative and destructive stress.

Got some doctors and lawers friends. Money wise it's pretty close from my experience.
But we're living the life of james bond compared to them. Maybe not at Ryanair...