PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality check - from someone not in the know
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 22:31
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tagzy
What you state sounds very positive, but again you're talking best case scenarios. There must be countless fATPL pilots out there that may never even get the Ryanair job and it's this risk that makes me think it's absolutely not worth it. Realistically, if you don't get a job within 6 months of completing a type rating, what hope do you have? You're left with nothing except insurmountable debt because flying qualifications aren't much good for anything else.
I would like to think that if you don't get a job after completing training, then there were simply other better candidates than you. It's not about what qualifications you have.... everyone else applying for the job has those qualifications as well, or even more! You have to present yourself better than the other guy!

Originally Posted by Tagzy
Regarding other professions, well doctors obviously have to pay for medical school which in the UK is about £10k a year for five years, which is the standard university tuition fee. However it's covered (or used to be anyway) by government student finance that ensures they don't pay back a penny until they are in employment, and even then it is a manageable salary sacrifice. So yes, in the long run it's still a lot of money but much more easy to come by plus £50k is still a damn sight less than £115k, and doctors would be in time able to achieve the salaries you just quoted.
Um, no. Medical school is five years, yes, but when you finish that, you're only on step one and chances are that nurses who have done 3 years of schooling earn more than you do. It'll take at least another 5-10 years of study, training, test-taking, and work to be at the earning potential we all think about when someone mentions the word "doctor." The guy with "Dr." in front of his name that is out of 5 years of medical school and £50K in debt is a deer in the headlights in a busy ward or operating theatre, and definitely is nowhere near the payscales you're thinking of

Originally Posted by RomeoTango89
I appreciate that our personal circumstances are wildly varying. I am single, no dependents. However my point is thus; Don't pursue a career in aviation based on a perceived ROI. Do it because you are passionate about something you love.
The point is --- the ROI is EXACTLY one of the things some of us have to consider. Some of us have to get a loan and depending on the length of the loan and the interests on the loan, that may very well be a big factor in deciding whether or not to pursue this dream. Being passionate in aviation is one thing, doing it while the debts keep piling up and constantly failing on your obligations is another.