PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would anyone like to share any stories about Group Captain Joe Sim
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 21:59
old aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe Sim QVS

Hi "rmac", intrigued by your post and subsequent replies and comments which I have only just discovered some four years later. I too am an Old Victorian, school No 1777. Joe Sim was the Monitor of Cunningham House and left to join the RAF about five years ahead of me, although we had played in the pipe band at the same time. He was a tenor drummer, I was a side drummer. We met again at Leeming on the same pilot course in 1966, where he came top, (No 20 I think), not surprising with his Javelin Nav experience and I even used to babysit for Alma and him. They tried to send him to CFS which he avoided by pulling in influential contacts. Used to see him occasionally at Turnhouse in the late 60's and once at W. Raynham after 1 Sqn beat the sh*t out of RAF Watton on the 50th celebration of the RAF. I knew he flew Hunters and Harriers, but not the Jag or Tornado. I did know that he was the first Stn Cdr of Mount Pleasant but did not know that he had been killed in a motor accident. Before going into incriminating tales, what is or was your purpose in asking for them ? I flew heavies mainly from 1966 to 2002 as a regular and again from 2004 to 2007 as a reservist. ADR