PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of the Fabulous 500.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 20:26
MikeNYC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 500 Fan
I reckon the surf event organiser probably brought in the 500 to film the event, thence my reference to the drone being unauthorised. As you say, where exactly the regulations lie, out over the water is open to debate. Does the presence of the 500 mean the drone should vacate the area? What about operating the drone over a crowded area, in this case the surf zone? Was the 500 doubling-up as a rescue ship too? I think Windward often do surf rescue at Jaws and elsewhere in Hawaii.

I do a bit of stand-up paddle boarding and SUP surfing and drones are becoming a regular overhead presence when surfers and SUPers are out on the water. I've been over-flown quite closely and videoed by drones on two occasions this year. No real problem except I have no real interest in starring in a video on youtube without my consent (or being hit by one either, for that matter). Drones seem to raise lots of new issues for those not operating them.

I also witnessed one guy accidentally hit the wrong switch on his drone and ditch it. Fished it out for him but I think he'll need four new motors.

500 Fan.
The 500 was indeed there to film the surf event, but the presence of one aircraft doesn't mean the (public) area isn't available for others. The drone definitely should have vacated the area with a full-size aircraft operating there. No argument there.

Operating the drone over a crowded area isn't the best idea, but it isn't strictly illegal by FAA standards unless people are being directly overflown. There are others that might argue flying a single engine helo over crowds of people at very low altitude with no airspeed also isn't the best idea, but it's done daily with little risk. The 500 wasn't doing rescue work, it was simply a camera ship.

Drones over nonparticipants, especially in areas people might expect peace, quiet, and relative privacy, are a nuisance indeed. But it doesn't give the 500 operator the right to down it.

This is a sticky area, and one that will be raised more and more in the future. Plenty of helicopter pilots own drones as toys, and also may work on film sets where aerial platforms vary between drones and helicopters. It's important to see both sides here. Unfortunately, too often, the drones are operated by people as toys, with no idea of the legal or safety ramifications of their operation.