PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of the Fabulous 500.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 20:14
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fish

Originally Posted by MikeNYC
Looks like original video link was broken. Perhaps this link works: https://www.facebook.com/fpvteamlegi...0156110086118/

I have mixed feelings about this. While the drone pilot was definitely in the wrong in failing to yield to the helicopter, the suggestion that it was an "unauthorized" drone isn't totally accurate. There was no TFR over the event, and the whole thing took place outside of controlled airspace. The "No Drone" signs posted by the event organizers only hold legal standing on the beach that they've closed by permit.

I've heard of some FSDO reports that have been made regarding this incident, and it doesn't show great airmanship in the pilot deciding to approach an unknown drone in close proximity (and fly directly over it). Had the drone pilot climbed, or the drone went into "Lost Link" mode and climbed on its own up to a safe altitude, the outcome could have been different.

Not sure about the authority the 500 pilot has to destroy another's property, either. At the very least, the 500 pilot is on the hook for a new toy for whoever lost theirs in the ocean.
I reckon the surf event organiser probably brought in the 500 to film the event, thence my reference to the drone being unauthorised. As you say, where exactly the regulations lie, out over the water is open to debate. Does the presence of the 500 mean the drone should vacate the area? What about operating the drone over a crowded area, in this case the surf zone? Was the 500 doubling-up as a rescue ship too? I think Windward often do surf rescue at Jaws and elsewhere in Hawaii.

I do a bit of stand-up paddle boarding and SUP surfing and drones are becoming a regular overhead presence when surfers and SUPers are out on the water. I've been over-flown quite closely and videoed by drones on two occasions this year. No real problem except I have no real interest in starring in a video on youtube without my consent (or being hit by one either, for that matter). Drones seem to raise lots of new issues for those not operating them.

I also witnessed one guy accidentally hit the wrong switch on his drone and ditch it. Fished it out for him but I think he'll need four new motors.

500 Fan.