PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSA Licensing
Thread: ATSA Licensing
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2003, 08:39
Connex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiglet –

Just a thought - have you never felt that your efforts should have been rewarded in any small way at all - not financially, but on a “professional” level? I had not been in the job for more than a year before the non-parity of the ATCOs/ATSAs became glaringly apparent, and not just in financial terms. I simply feel that, now, as participants in the same service, the very least we should be accorded is the acknowledgement that the part we play is important too. If, as we are allegedly told, the ATCOs , NATS Management and others do regard us as “professional”, and part of the team, then why are we subject to the constant put-downs, the lack of support at ALL levels, and the perpetual exclusion from virtually anything which could be regarded as a “Company perk”? So much for parity! And now what have we got – very little in the way of support from our colleagues - just one ATCO stating that he can’t see why ATSAs should be licensed at all as we have “no technical responsibility” (at least he had the ba**s to write in and say his piece – the rest of them are notable by their absence!)

ATSAs should not be going down the licensing avenue if all they are looking for is some form of “professional I.D.” Holding a licence is not a status symbol – (what was it Niknak said? – oh,yes – “if you want a licence, become an ATCO”) – it should be regarded as proof that the holder is a capable, responsible and PROFESSIONAL person who will deliver the goods every time he/she comes to work and becomes part of the TEAM providing the service. And, yes, they are accountable for their input, and will be tested regularly/annually to ensure that they are up to the task. Just in case it has slipped anybody’s mind out there – ATSAs are part of the team!!

One part of the idea of licensing, as stated by the PCS Union Rep in his letter, is to “enhance the safety chain” – that, combined with the element of maintaining (and possibly improving) standards, should be valid enough reason for the introduction of licensing for the “professional” non-ATCO grades within ATC.

PS – I don’t think the poor so-and-so’s will be too happy to know that we “sharp-enders” are watching them – after all, they’ve got licences!!