PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality check - from someone not in the know
Old 1st Nov 2017, 15:58
Tagzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I worded the start wrong, essentially what I'm saying is if you are already rich enough to not even worry about the cost of training then it's likely you could better spend that money flying recreationally without the pressures of needing a job to pay for your training - that probably still doesn't make sense for which I apologise!

What you state sounds very positive, but again you're talking best case scenarios. There must be countless fATPL pilots out there that may never even get the Ryanair job and it's this risk that makes me think it's absolutely not worth it. Realistically, if you don't get a job within 6 months of completing a type rating, what hope do you have? You're left with nothing except insurmountable debt because flying qualifications aren't much good for anything else.

Regarding other professions, well doctors obviously have to pay for medical school which in the UK is about £10k a year for five years, which is the standard university tuition fee. However it's covered (or used to be anyway) by government student finance that ensures they don't pay back a penny until they are in employment, and even then it is a manageable salary sacrifice. So yes, in the long run it's still a lot of money but much more easy to come by plus £50k is still a damn sight less than £115k, and doctors would be in time able to achieve the salaries you just quoted.