PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality check - from someone not in the know
Old 1st Nov 2017, 15:15
Officer Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see no reason at all why your post should be deleted? Perhaps it would have been suited to the other of the 2 pilot wannabe forums but the mods will decide that.

I'd agree with most of what you have said, except where you seem to say those that can get the cash wouldn't need to be paid if they can do so. I may have misunderstood you but in the event I haven't, that is entirely untrue for practically everyone I know, including myself. Everyone who finds the cash has either borrowed it from their parents or a bank and it will need to be paid back, or they have saved up for years to pay for it ... and they would need a decent return on their investment for it to pay off. Those who are so rich they wouldn't need to be paid wouldn't really want to be pilots I shouldn't think ... they'd fly their own private jet.

Ryanair are a stepping stone for most and most other airlines at that level are better by way of terms and conditions. But yes, getting Ryanair would be viewed as a great outcome ... because you get experience on a good aircraft with an airline that has an outstanding safety record ... and with that experience you can go onto something galaxies better. Despite that though, the issue with ryanair is not really the pay, it's more the conditions from what I understand of it all, you aren't gonna starve if you stay at ryanair and get a permanent contract. You'll still be miles ahead of the rest of the population in terms of earnings.

About the salaries across the board. Yes at the bottom it's nothing special at all. But once you start getting experience under your belt things can improve very quickly. After about 5 years at most you can realistically expect salaries of around £70,000+ depending on what company you are in. You can exceed £100,000 in more than a few airlines as a FO after more experience. Once you hit command then pay is unlikely to become an issue I can assure you. When you consider the vast majority of the population (who spend £45,000 on a uni degree that just gathers dust) will not touch anything near that pay for their entire lifetimes ... it is not that bad.

Browse for some of the Chinese contracts around these days too, I came across one offering $348,000 for captains about two days ago.

It all comes down to perspective, if you think because you put down £80k on training one year you want at least £80k back the next, then that's not how it works in this business at all. It takes time but it does build up to quite high figures that would make it worth it.

Now having said all that, if your sole aim in life is to make money, piloting ain't the game. But if you have a burning passion to fly and also want a decent lifestyle, then no, flying will not leave you on the breadline. And if you can see past the that faces us at the start then it is very worth it.

About the doctors and lawyers ... how much does it take to qualify as a lawyer or doctor? Not sarcasm but a genuine question, aren't law schools and medical schools notoriously expensive?