PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 2 Medical: Two Sets of Specs for Assessment
Old 1st Nov 2017, 09:43
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Metro man
I once had the screw holding one of the arms fall out during a flight so yes, a spare pair is necessary. CASA probably got wise to people just buying a $9.99 pair of reading glasses to show as a back up and decided to check that they were the correct prescription.

Back in the 1990s the opthalmologist doing my initial eye exam told me that photocromatic lenses weren't allowed because a DC9 Captain had a heavy landing after flying on top in bright sunshine and then descending through low cloud which didn't allow the lenses time to adjust before arrival
And when the screw fell out, did you have an adequate spare pair or an inadequate $9.99 set of inadequate reading glasses?

In the case of the people in the habit of not carrying adequate spare vision correction, how does making them turn up to a doctor’s surgery with it once every one or two years make them change that habit? The people whose thought processes result in them taking the risk of not carrying adequate spare vision correction apply the same thought processes to the problem of turning up at the doctor’s surgery with a spare that can be used to pass the test.

Policing an operational requirement in a non-operational environment is a nonsense.