PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounced landings. Should you go around or re-land straight ahead?
Old 31st Oct 2017, 02:19
IFEZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without knowing all the background of Sunfish's circumstances and prior training that led to his unfortunate incident, I'm not sure that what he was told was exactly 'ridiculous'. The C172 POH has Normal Landing (flaps down) at 60-70KIAS. If it was a windy (& perhaps gusty) day as he stated, then holding 70KIAS until 'over the fence' seems reasonable to me. They certainly dropped the ball by not at least showing him in his early training how to recover from a bounced landing, and maybe he needed a bit of extra dual in the C172 before being let loose. The STOL figure in the POH is 62KIAS so in calm conditions a normal landing at around 65KIAS works fine. I understand where you're coming from Centaurus, in that one of the main reasons people 'bounce' a landing, is that they are carrying too much speed on short final, mistime the flare and...well we know the rest. But in this particular case, in those conditions, I don't think 70KIAS was all that excessive.