PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adani Coal Airport
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2017, 00:49
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
At last count I saw, PR China is building 299 new coal fired power stations.
I have actually been to one of them, Wuwei, north western China on the Mongolian border --- it can be clearly be seen on Google Earth.

The existing generating capacity just a Wuwei is somewhat bigger than all Australian generating capacity combined, and that is just one expanding site. The Wuwei coal source is largely Mongolia.

I would remind you all that, under the "wonderful" Paris Accord, neither China nor India have any binding agreements to reduce any pollutant output, only to reconsider by 2030.

It is true that China is shutting down very old coal fired plants, but this is about reducing particulate pollution,(as any of you who have experienced Beijing or Harbin smogs, as I have, will understand why) not CO2, and they are being replaced by a combination of "new" coal and nuclear, with some new hydro, for a rapidly expanding total output.

Yes, there is some solar and windmills, but a very small proportion, the Chinese fully understand "H24 dispatchable" and "reliable". Hard reality trumps "virtue signalling" in the People's Republic.

Whatever Australia does will have little or no impact on total tonnage of coal used to generate power. If we strangle Australian exports, there is plenty of coal around the world, and coal will play a major roll in power generation long after we, currently on this site, are all long gone.

The above is all fact, regardless of your personal views on global warming, cooling or undecided.

Tootle pip!!