PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enter Air landing Salzburg
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2017, 22:48
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the smoke stack on the right of the video. Look at the angle of the smoke; from the left. From experience assess the strength of the crosswind. Was it that wild? Look at the behaviour of the a/c; left wing down, right wing down. R&R. PIO? An attempt at 100' of left wing down, not very positive, then at 30' a huge right bank - not good with wind from left - then a huge lunge to the left to correct, just touched left wheel first and an immediate GA. This could suggest a large rudder input in the flare without counter aileron to keep wings level. If the pilot was 'having difficulty' due to experience, I wonder if the captain took over and made the GA. It was immediate; there was no attempt to rock & roll the a/c onto the ground. It was boom & go. To me it could be a change of hands on the controls. If so, then a huge well done to the skipper.
Without a longitudinal picture it is difficult to assess accurately what the lateral flight path & crab angle was and the control inputs; but IMHO it was not a 'stable controlled' arrival. We also need the ATC wind information on finals to help our opinions. However, to dismiss this with the disdain some have done IMHO is not valid. The crew made the correct decision, no doubt, but to dismiss the event so lightly is debatable. No doubt this happens very often every day around the world; it's how we learn, but give credit where it is due to the pilot who made the GA. However, do not dismiss the possible mis-handling of the last 500' as trivia without us knowing the true Wx conditions. If this was mere X-wind then someone needs more practice.