PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dawson's field remains?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2017, 16:52
Four Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always been puzzled by the references to Dawson's Filed which I suspect may have been a bit of old RAF slang picked up by a journalist.
From late 1945 to Jan 1947 my father commanded the British Army transport base at Mafraq. My mother, younger brother and I joined him there from England in March 1946, staying there until the base was closed and we were posted to Jerusalem at the end of Jan 1947.
I knew the area very well as a 10 year old with nothing to do but hitch lifts on Army trucks and go riding on a couple of retired police horses we had.
Although RAF Mafraq is recorded as existing since 1931 there were no RAF there then. I think there was a landing strip because occasionally a BOAC Dragon Rpaide called in with supplies for the oil company pumping station at H5 (Mafraq is on the old Haifa pipeline).
I have always assumed the hijacked aircraft were landed on the salt flats. These were vast - we used to cross them on the way to picnics at the al Azraq oasis. I remember once we came across a squadron of Spitfires that had landed on the salt flats as part of a desert exercise. Plenty of room for a fleet of VC10s!
Wikipedia refers to the strip at Zerqa as Dawson's Field, I think wrongly.
The base the RAF built around 1951 was completely new and became the later Jordanian Air Force base. The hijackers would not have landed there.
I called in at Mafraq briefly in 1973 on my way from Damascus to Amman, when the old British base where I had lived was still unchanged, and again in 2010 when everything had been completely built over. I seem to remember the RJAF base main gate has a Hunter as guard plane.