PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounced landings. Should you go around or re-land straight ahead?
Old 29th Oct 2017, 21:15
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
I bounced and damaged a C172 on my first flight after endorsement. I had learned on a C150/152 and a warrior. I didn't think of going around.

In the C150 I never generated a bounce. For some reason, probably weight, I never experienced one. In fact I had the reverse happen, my instructor demonstrated STOL landings at YCEM by doing a STOL touch and go - except with a stuck flap switch and full flap, the c150 wont climb. I almost died that day. Moral of the story, don't teach STOL by touch and go. If you can't climb you are likely dead.

As for bouncing, all I was taught was "protect the nosewheel" which is easy in a land-o-matic warrior.

I was endorsed on a C172 on a windy day. Approach at 70,, land at 70 into a twenty knot headwind - no bounce.

Tried to touch and go at 70 a few days later with no headwind. Predictable result: bounce followed by PIO, followed by bounce etc. After three such arrivals a disturbed tower alerted my school and called me in. Bent firewall. My trust in flying instructors and schools has never quite recovered -"what else don't I know?" is now my creed.