PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2017, 18:14
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geriaviator, re your #11457 I have checked back on my previous contributions to this estimable thread and much regret that my stock of memoirs (the interesting ones, anyway) is now exhausted, and so anything further from me will be of the tit-bit variety as & when stirred into action by the contributions of others!

Which is a convenient lead-in to WarmToast's superb China Bay pix. Routed one day from Changi to Negombo, we were scheduled to make a quick stop at China Bay. Approaching from the east a straight-in to the long runway was no problem, but as we trundled to the far end after landing there appeared to be a small obstruction ahead - which turned out to be a local with his back to us pushing a large wheelbarrow who looked faintly surprised as, taxying slowly past, I gave him a friendly wave.

I was subsequently informed this was a fairly common occurrence; seeing little use the runway was much frequented by cattle, their inevitable deposits being much appreciated by locals for use on their vegetable gardens; why it was not thought necessary to publicise this fact to visiting aircraft was not explained.