PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A320 accident at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2017, 17:22
slast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Info at the time of the accident

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey A4
The approach lighting on RWY 05 consist of HIRL, CL, SSALR, and a PAPI on the left side....
If the approach to that runway as not changed since the accident, then the approach that night to RWY 05 was a LOC only approach (no G/S) but with a DME. The MDA was 820' (357') and the MAP was at 1.7 DME (taken from another DME freq.) which brought the MAP to the threshold of RWY 05.
For clarification, I expect your data is current but at the time of the accident the runway had left-side PAPI, high-intensity threshold, end, centre-line, and edge lighting, but only a medium-intensity omnidirectional approach lighting system (ODALS) extending 1500 feet from the threshold with 5 lights spaced approximately 300 feet apart, which flash sequentially every second (60 times per minute).

The runway also has a significant up-slope from the threshold to the TDZ. The MDA was 740ft (277) with a temperature correction.

So since the accident the approach lighting has been upgraded and the MDA raised. Can you tell me what the current visibility minima are? It's also my information (not confirmed) that the Captain has left the company.