PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone airlines - how long?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2017, 16:01
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drone airlines? They're almost here already, surely. Most planes could take-off and land themselves now. Trains, buses and cars do so anyway so it's only a matter of time. I've sat in cars parking themselves and on driverless trains and buses. Do I worry? You bet your life I do, but so far without cause.

A major concern, though, occurs to me. Will people actually need to travel so much in the future? When every home is equipped with interactive 3D multi-screen facilities will anybody need to travel anywhere unless they absolutely have to or want to? Mass-travel will be a thing of the past and holidays won't be necessary when robots and drones at home and away will provide for all our wants and needs leaving us with plenty of time for peeling grapes and sipping G-and-Ts. And it won't be much longer before we're all beaming up and down all over the place.

Good times are coming, they told me years ago, when nuclear power was promised to provide free electricity and computerization access to unlimited leisure. That worked out well, didn't it. After all, it was nicely predicted in Bladerunner years ago!