PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Russian Ekranoplan
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2017, 15:58
Carbon Bootprint

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ORAC
Just thought that, as a development of “Rescuer”, and with a rear ramp and all that cargo space, it shouldn’t be called “Lifeguard” but “Deliveroo”.

Just saying.......
I was wondering the same thing. Marketing it as a humanitarian rescue do-gooder could well be a sly disguise. After all, the original Caspian Sea Monster was designed to transport troops and goods. That said, the links acknowledge it could be employed for multiple purposes.

Not having any familiarity with the model illustrated in ORAC's post above, does anyone know what is supposed to be contained in the forward assemblage of the T-tail? Looks like it's intended for something.

I've always been fascinated by these things, for some reason. Having been employed with a number of naval engineers, I know they drive the IMO folks crazy -- how do you deal with large 500 km/h vehicles in shipping lanes with massive vessels averaging 10 knots or so? Maybe in the Arctic it won't be much of an issue, but with the ice cap dissolving there is also a lot more interest in shipping through that area.