PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounced landings. Should you go around or re-land straight ahead?
Old 29th Oct 2017, 14:58
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Slippery_Pete
Hi ShyTorque.

“ with more than one bounce”.

The first bounce is always the least severe in a PIO type scenario. Had he/she gone around after the first bounce, the damage would not have occurred. Trying to correct a bounce rather than go around actually caused this issue.

The aircraft being incapable of going around due to severe damage occurred a long time after the go around decision should have been made.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Almost forty years ago I watched a colleague and friend of mine nearly kill himself in a Jet Provost at RAF Basic Flying Training School. I never forgot the sickening sight of the last bounce / nose up / stall / nose drop & crash from what must have been about 100ft agl, after which the aircraft wasn't capable of flying or bouncing any more. He was also sitting on a live ejection seat! A decade or so working as a military flying instructor reinforced my memory of that particular episode.

I was taught how to deal with a bounce in about 1972 when Her Majesty first let me loose in one of her taxpayers' aircraft. That didn't have an engine so maintaining aircraft attitude was everything.