PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair uses all the runway.
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2017, 13:55
roving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sprite1
The key to this whole thread though is the fact there is 1000m of Clearway on Rwy 27 that permit the aircraft to basically, how should I put it, scrape off the runway like we saw in the video.

It's all legal etc, regardless of how it looks.
CWY
Description

In aviation, clearway is a term related to the dimension of some runways and it is abbreviated with CWY. A clearway is an area beyond the paved runway, free of obstructions and under the control of the airport authorities. The length of the clearway may be included in the length of the takeoff distance available (TODA). For example, if a paved runway is 2000 m long and there are 400 m of clearway beyond the end of the runway, the takeoff distance available is 2400 m long.

I venture to suggest that for an area to qualify as a "clearway" it has to meet the ordinary meaning of that word, i.e. a way which is clear and unobstructed. As appears from Google maps, in the direction of takeoff on RWY 27 there is indeed a clear and unobstructed area of grassland beyond the runway that appears to meet the description of a clearway. Once the lights/fence/road is reached it is no longer a "clearway' because it is obstructed.

Does that area of grassland stretch 1000 metres beyond the runway?
Attached Images