PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a Socata TB10 and operating costs..
Old 29th Oct 2017, 12:37
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a Socata TB10 and operating costs..

Hello,

A group of us (very good friends and pilots) mixture of PPL and CPL have got together and evaluated trying to purchase a GA Aircraft - which will suit some of us for GA, others for hours building/recreational flying and trips further afield to Europe such as San Sebatian, Cannes, Monaco etc without being restricted to Club Aircraft.

We would split the cost of ownership of the aircraft between us 4 and have already cut our teeth into C152, Piper PA28, C172, Mooney etc and have potentially shortlisted a TB10 as a purchase.

Renting a club aircraft does not give us the flexibility at the moment so this opens up the opportunity to go flying when we want - albeit at a cost that we would absorb in Direct Operating Cost calculations.

TB10 seem to be making a come back in GA at the moment and it is IFR equipped (though with old avionics - Narco 800) but we aren't too fussed at the moment about upgrading these.

There is a fresh annual and ARC with the aircraft and I am trying to get an idea about Direct Operating Costs and general thoughts on the above aircraft?

I am just wondering how I can get the 'per hour flying cost' and what to rent out at?

The forecast to fly is approximately 100-150 hours a year between the 4 of us - BUT realistically, due to weather and no one hold an IR/IMC I do not think we will be hitting anywhere near these figures and it will likely be 50-70 hours a year.

At the end of it we will have an asset also and can think about adding 2 more members to the group -to a max 7 or 8 - including the 4 owners - to have set aside money for the engine fund, maintenance etc.

I have allowed approximately:

£2000 - 3000 for maintenance annually.
£2000 - Insurance (Named Pilot)
£1560 - Parking with a hard stand on grass inclusive of landing fees. At the moment I haven't found a hangar in an airfield around the London/South East area that is available.
£1800 - 8.33 conversion with 20% rebate from CAA
£385 - Pre-sales survey
£unknown - Logbook Audit.

Engine is on condition at the moment with approximately 400 hours left. Hence why we were thinking of adding some more members to have an engine fund - whether that is complete overhaul or top end etc.

I know a maintenance shop that specifically take care of these aircraft in and around Earls Cone/Thurrock area.

Aircraft weather cover - unknown £
Cutting additional keys for magnetos - unknown £
Fuel burn is approximately 40 litres per hour.

Any advice on the above appreciated?

Thank You.
Scoobster