PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel fraction - the worst offender ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2017, 11:41
Ken Scott

Received 150 Likes on 29 Posts
Whilst mindful that any story will seem pathetic after Mogwi's tale in the spirit of continuing the thread I was an early student on the Tucano. We used to take the ac for a sortie with half tanks as it was pretty good for economy. I was sent off on a solo low level & at just about the furthest point from base realised that fuel was getting a tad low so pulled out & proceeded directly back. On the way back realised that things were getting really low & as I approached the airfield that there were a couple of first solos in the circuit. As it was a late Friday afternoon I thought that a 'fuel priority' call might cause some ructions & only draw attention to my predicament so I elected for a discrete join which fortunately wasn't delayed. As I recall I shutdown with about 25kg showing on the totaliser, I don't recall what unusable fuel there was. That was still probably good for 5 or 10 mins though, assuming it was all usable.

Last edited by Ken Scott; 28th Oct 2017 at 11:43. Reason: Better sentence construction!