PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounced landings. Should you go around or re-land straight ahead?
Old 28th Oct 2017, 11:24
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Bounced landings. Should you go around or re-land straight ahead?

Browsing through the BASI Journal No.3, Summer 1988. A self contributor wrote this on page 12.
Cessna 152
"During early solo training, on landing I bounced heavily a number of times. I panicked and decided to go around. Applied full power, full up elevator and with full flap and carb heat selected. I ran off the sealed section of the runway. By this time my speed was insufficient to lift the aircraft off, but as a result of panic I left full power and full up elevator. The aircraft eventually lifted off just short of the boundary fence, narrowly missing various obstructions, including a house, whereupon I regained normal control and landed without incident.
Supervising instructor did not observe the event. Reason for incident: Panic/Inexperience.

BASIS writer comment: The bounce is usually caused by incorrect speed or aircraft attitude at touchdown. When the bounce occurs, the accepted safest procedure for low time pilots is to go around (remember to reconfigure for climb and carby heat off. But please report all misadventures to your instructor. He will help you learn from your mistakes.

You have to say not a very instructive reply by the BASIS "expert."
Before first solo, a student should be thoroughly conversant with the technique of recovery from a series of bounced landings. That means being taught how to apply cushioning power, re-establish the landing attitude and simply land straight ahead.

A similar technique is published in the Boeing Flight crew Training Manual which states: "If the airplane should bounce, hold or re-establish a normal landing attitude and add thrust as necessary to control the rate of descent. Thrust need not be added for a shallow bounce or skip. When a high bounce occurs initiate a go-around. Apply thrust and use normal go-around procedures". So the procedure is not new.

Despite the claim by the BASIS expert that "the accepted safest procedure for low time pilots is to go around" the incident described by the student pilot showed that a go-around on the point of stall with a high drag full power configuration in a Cessna 152 can be decidedly dangerous since it requires excellent handling skills to minimise the chances of a full power stall and incipient spin. If not immediately prevented by correct application of rudder the yaw caused by full power at speeds just above the stall is significant and directional control lost in a flash with possible devastating consequences. It may be safer to establish the landing attitude, apply power as necessary to control the rate of descent and land ahead on the remaining field or runway length.

Instructors need to demonstrate both techniques to the student before certifying a student for first solo.
Postscript:
I sent a student on her first solo and observed her circuit which looked exemplary from the ground as did her final approach. To my consternation the glide path appeared to flatten at 200 feet and I thought she was going to stall. She recovered by lowering the nose and subsequently landed heavily with several bounces. The last bounce was high caused by her pulling back on the control column too far. I prayed she would not attempt a last second go-around as by now the stall warning would have been sounding. Instead she was able to flatten the bounce and using judicious power was able to land safely straight ahead within the remaining landing area. I was glad that I had taught her how to recover from a bounce by applying sufficient power to control the rate of descent and land straight ahead.

She taxied back to pick me up and I asked what had happened at 200 feet. She still had a big smile on her face after her first solo. She failed to notice my fixed grin and said the stall warning had sounded on short final and at the time she failed to realise its significance. When the aircraft fell out of the sky as she rounded out she then realised she had stuffed up.

Last edited by Centaurus; 28th Oct 2017 at 11:35.