PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel fraction - the worst offender ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2017, 03:08
SpazSinbad

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
MilJet pilots are mindful of fuel state - especially I like to think that NavAv pilots are even more keen on getting back to 'the boat' with more fuel than they are allowed to land with - so they have to dump fuel. Always exceptions of course and in these days of ubiquitous air refueling by LARGE airborne fuel trucks one does not hear of 'fuel emergencies' much.

One notable exception in the RAN FAA was a sprog Macchi MB326H pilot (since deceased in a motorway accident in UK I'm told) managing to run out of fuel - after getting low on fuel at low level out to sea then sensibly climbing to return to NAS Nowra. Being in touch with the tower he had low overcast weather at the airfield which was not great for an engine out forced landing. But returning gliding from the south east he passed over Jervis Bay airfield, being able to see it through a hole in the undercast. Down he went through it to carry out a successful high speed engine out forced landing on a runway not suitable for jets (airfield only good for Jindivik targets all those years ago now - late 1970s or so). Anyhow he went to fly other RAN machines.

For myself I have been overhead the carrier at max altitude with thankfully enough fuel to circle slowly waiting for the next recovery cycle (they promised me an hour after my ordinary CHARLIE time - whilst I got that news when still at altitude; but out of range south of any Hawaiian island airfields and NO TANKER). Did not stop the Hawaiian ANG to send out a pair of F-102As to buzz me closely as I ambled around and around 'making fuel' transgressing their ADIZ. All turned out OK though - wires back online within time stated.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 28th Oct 2017 at 03:29.