PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada non go-around at SFO
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2017, 22:28
Three Thousand Rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n5296s
As for the red light, have you ever actually seen one of these things even when you're trying, even when you know exactly where the tower is and you're staring at it? I confess that on the one occasion when I landed nordo, after a total electrical failure on take off, I completely failed to look for a green (or red) light. Bit busy aviating, getting the gear down with the manual pump, etc etc.
Though I'm not a professional pilot, my experience of having a radio failure in the pattern and landing at a large, but relatively quiet, international airport was that I selected 7600 and then very carefully flew base, final and landed.

On reporting in person, the ATCO said well done for observing the green light and not flying around the tower flashing landing lights etc.

Except I didn't see the light, so a fail on my part - and that was when I knew COM1/COM2 was non-functional.

So, there were 2 professional pilots onboard AC, with a much higher level of training and experience, but I can empathise - they were cleared to land and were focused on that - had they been under a 'continue approach, expect late landing clearance' conditional clearance, then I'd have less sympathy.