PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR nostalgia
Thread: LHR nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2017, 07:57
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The Deux Ponts, alias the "Duck's Pants" to 1960s spotters, rather fell between stools, as did so many French propeller designs. Just 12 built in the mid-1950s for Air France, were used on flights down to North Africa. After the Caravelle displaced it, a few converted to freighters, though still with a small passenger cabin, the rest to the French Air Force (always the reluctant recipient of Air France premature cast-offs).

It appeared through the 1960s on an overnight freight flight that left Heathrow at about 2am. By this stage it was one of the few 4-engined pistons left there. Relative lived in Chertsey, described how what was obviously this aircraft used to hammer overhead at full chat in the middle of the night in a decidedly low level climbing (sort of) turn.

I never saw one there, but Air France did have an odd, non-daily, service into Bristol Lulsgate some evenings, on which this aircraft eked out its last days into the late 1960s. I recall seeing it one evening, from the A38 road, sat at the terminal. I think it could only take about 20 pax in the remaining passenger compartment, it was mostly for freight, in particular between BAC at Filton and Sud at Toulouse in the early days of Concorde development.