PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting into the air by my own efforts
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2017, 17:13
DownWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
It sounds similar to: I’d like to drive a car but I don’t want to pay for lessons or have to pass a test. Would you want to share the road with such a person, or sit next to them?

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of people without any previous experience going flying: some of them even survive (although they probably wish they hadn’t).

I’m all for aviation in every respect but please get some kind of training before you take to the skies. Flexwing, parafoil, glider, motor glider, whatever. It doesn’t have to be expensive and where I come from (gliding mainly) if you have skills in other departments and are prepared to give your time, instruction can be free, or close to it.

There are other little things, like knowledge of rules of the air, weather, airspace and the like which can really help the day end well.

Good luck!
Bit rough, since the OP has stated he is in Aviation and understands most of the rules & risks.. Just looking for a low cost way to get airbourn..

Looking at the lightly built examples linked.. I ran into Henri Mignet's grandson, who lives locally. I had no idea that the designs were developed and he built them until around 16 yrs ago, until an accident upset his insurance co. who then refused to cover him. Sold them to the army and others. Guggle Avions Henri Mignet for a view.