PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 25th Oct 2017, 11:11
Black Pudding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acarsnocomm

Don't stress about anything

1. How many hours do B787 captains average per month?

Can't answer, I am 320 fleet

2. How many days off can I expect per month, along with the usual days one can expect get off together.

I think minimum 8 and some are paired as 4 together

3. What is the average take home salary for a B787 Captain?

Not sure, but the money is ok

4. Can one travel without any restrictions on off days?

Yes once you have gained your multi exit permit, you can leave as many times as you like on your days off. Be aware should you have any sort of incident and pending an investigation, your permit can be cancelled and unable to leave UFN.

5. What are the B787 destinations?

Many nice ones, I think best fleet to be honest.

6. What is the minimum and maximum layover/night halt duration? How many layovers can one expect each month?

Mainly 24 hours as we tend to do daily flights to all our destinations. I think all 787 flights are layovers. Those that are not are mainly used for training.

7. How many same day return flights can one expect on the B787 each month?

Very few

8. Are there frequent roster/schedule changes?

Some. I don't think the 787 suffers from much roster changes.

9. Flight schedules when released are for what duration typically? (eg a month or more/less?)

8 days before the end of the month, you get your roster for the whole of the next month.

10. Is it easy getting annual leave?

Depends on fleet and seniority.

11. Do wives actually need your permission each time they want to travel outside the country?

No, they don't even need an exit permit. They can come and go as they please. Staff travel is amazing and your wife will love it.

12. Are company provided apartments/villas of a good standard and well located?

Hit and miss.

13. Is it better to look for accommodation at the pearl/west bay area?

Best to arrive, stay in company accommodation for a year and suss the city out, then apply to take the money and move if you wish. There is a waiting list for those wanting to move out, so could take a while.

14. Is there much for wives to do in Qatar, barring going to malls?

It's all up to the wives. Some love it, some hate it, some tolerant it. It's all about her meeting new people and making friends. My motto is you have so many new friends here in a Doha you have not yet met. My wife has more friends here than she does in the UK. She loves it here, knows more people than me and does not want to move back to the UK. There are lots of bars and nice restaurants in Doha. The most important thing is many new friends. Which country are you coming from.

15. My confirmation letter states the B787 fleet has been assigned to me. Is it possible that QR will change this once I get there to say a A320 or B777?

It says on the contract, they can re assign you any fleet they like if needed. It's simple, either you want to fly a certain aircraft type or you want to fly for Qatar ? I very much doubt they will give you Airbus or 777

16. Can wives frequently travel with you on your layover flights?

Yes, if there is room on the flight, staff travel allows it.

If anyone on the 787 can fill in the above blanks, please feel free.

I have been here 7 years. Very happy with the company. I tolerate Doha.

Don't worry about anything

I have sent you a PM

Good luck with joining

Regards BP