PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2017, 09:49
titanpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenfold
Hey everyone. I’m going to flight screening next month and I’ve just got a few queries/worries that anyone who has been to FSP could possibly answer. First of all, I have no flying experience, is this going to be an issue? On saying that, I have worked as an aircrew member in the RAAF for the past year. Also, is it true that you’re shown a room of model aircraft, some of which are older and not military, and asked to label them. Also, do they still asked mental maths questions during th interview part.
I highly recommend getting some flight training if you can. Preferably one of the courses designed to get you through FSP. The people who got high recs in my group either had recent flying training or had more hours than everyone else.

Don't stress about knowing every plane in the room. It's not the kind of thing that they would ask you unless they doubted your interest. Don't even stress about knowing the answer to every question. If you don't know just say "I'm sorry Sir but I don't know the answer to that". Research everything about the job you want to apply for.

I wanted navy pilot. I could tell you everything that was in the DFR website on navy pilot. I could also tell you a lot about navy life, the types of ships I could be posted to, the aircraft, the training, service period, everything. I could name the ranks. I could name the organisational structure from the fleet air command all the way up, including all the names of the officers up to chief of defense force. All, the ministers in charge, up to the gov gen. All operations the navy is involved in and what the purpose of those operation are.

If you study all of that then you don't really need to worry. They will realise straight away that you are keen and will drop those kind of questions.

There will be personal questions. If you have a girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, wife, kids, etc expect to be asked about how you and they will cope.

None of this should be new information to you and I will not give specifics as to what happens since they asked me not to.

There will be maths questions. Nothing too complicated. It's not too hard to figure out what type of questions they will be. I recommend keeping your brain active with a maths app or something at least a day or two before you have your interview.

Finally, relax. By the time you get to the OSB part they will pretty much have decided on whether they want you or not based on your flying potential. They aren't ogres. They are actually really nice people. They want to see confidence and the only way you can give them that is if you think of them as just normal people. Treat them with respect though.