PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT IIIB A/P failure question
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2017, 07:37
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Some operated CAT 1 reversion for an autloand system failures, other did not. I could never achieve an answer; perhaps they felt it too dodgy. Can't think why.
One example is the thinking where we are:

1. SOPs say you shouldn't hand fly an IF approach for your own manual landing.

2. SOPS say in the event of an autoland being planned in CAT III or CAT 2 situations the landing pilot ( must be the commander) takes control ideally at 1000' (and only if and when LAND X etc annuciated, etc etc).

So...It's foggy, brief for a CAT2/3 autoland...off you set down the slope, co-pilot handling intially.

3. Lets say at 1100 feet you are surprised to hear CAT 1 complaint RVRs but stick with the autoland plan..so captain shortly thereafter takes control, autopilot OK at this point...

4. Then at say 500' and still in the clag the autopilot in entirety drops out..noisies, captions, etc including.."No autoland", etc...

Does the captain continue by hand flying it for his/her own manual landing?...Does he/she give control back to the P2 to hand fly it down to visual with the view of taking control again for a manual ....or do you go around and set up for an appropriate approach with the capability you have got...

Company answer for us, probably using the KISS principle, is you must not revert from a CAT III or II back to a CAT I....and yes, before the post cards roll in I didn't write the SOPs and I know what would do in the event of a Force Majeur such as a fire or very short of fuel.

Last edited by wiggy; 25th Oct 2017 at 09:33.