PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 19:32
grumpyoldman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile AICU its boards and the interconnect wiring

Originally Posted by ChristiaanJ
Mine is one of the 202 development units, and 'knitting' is too kind... 'kludge' describes it better. I'll post a photo, if you like.
That myth was amplified substantially by BA removing those "secret" AICUs from the aircraft after the final delivery flights.
The way I understood the story was that they tried to collect as many reasonably reliable spare AICUs for the last few delivery flights, so as not to have to suddenly cancel a flight.
The AICU was right at the top of the list of "unscheduled removals". IIRC the tea maker was second...
The one I know about is the ADC/DAC board (analog-digital and digital-analog converter board). The supply of either ADCs or DACs ran out literaly worldwide, and the board had to be redesigned, requalified and recertified with more recent components, and a new batch manufactured. The cost, for the replacement of that board alone, came to about 3 million euros.
Somebody passed me a photo taken at Casablanca of a table full of AICUs waiting to be programmed... of course every software mod had to be programmed into all eight computers!
"... 'burning' each individual logic gate with a 9v battery." I believe you, thousands wouldn't... Didn't you have at least some sort of programming unit?
I went through a similar exercise around 1976, but at that time at least we had a programming "suitcase", that let you copy the original in RAM, modifiy bit-by-bit with a keyboard, then 'burn' the PROM (or EPROM, by then) 'automatically'. Still took half the night....

Funny in a way how these things have stuck in our memories... But then, yes, Concorde was unique.
I've said this elsewhere, but I don't mind repeating it... in those days, there were two programmes to be part of. One was Apollo, the other was Concorde. And I've had the chance to be part of one of them.
Well, I can claim some input to this Control Unit. The adc/dac was in fact AICU 1. I designed the PCB at BAC Electronic and Space Systems Div. in Bristol in 1971/72 as I remember. Both the A to D and D to A modules on the board were made by Analogue Devices in the states. There was an array of DG103 FET Switches as i recall. The circuit design engineer and the electronic packaging engineer and I had a few rethinks about component placement on this board. As I recall , AICU1 thru 5 were all control and processing boards. AICU6 thru 9 were memory , harris h512 PROMS mounted on heatsinks which were bonded to the PCBs and all mounted in their own sockets.
The inter board wiring was random, no harness arrangement other than for power supply. Cross talk was even considered by the design engineers then. Wire wrapped in 30awg OFHC single core cables.
I could go on about a lot of things used in the system as it was also my job to keep a record of all the components and which board they were used on. This also applied to the Sensor Unit, The Test Unit, The Management Control Panel. We were busy Bees in the DO for a few years on AICS. Happy Days