PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army won’t sack recruits who use cocaine because the are so short of troops...
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 13:49
drustsonoferp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
KiloB.
When recruiting for the UAS, we had to ask the 'Big 3', which included asking whether the candidate had ever been involved with drugs. Any hint of a 'yes' meant GET OUT! I hope that is still the case?

I don't think they now pass any judgment on historical recreational use of "drugs" (the definition of drugs of course gives alcohol an exemption), but have no tolerance for previous dealing.

I could dig up RAF or regular Army documents on medical standards for entry online, but did find the Gurkha one. I assume they will be broadly comparable in this regard:

"9. Drug and Substance Misuse
The short, medium and long-term effects of the misuse of either illegal drugs or substances or legally obtained drugs or substances can have a damaging impact on mental and physical fitness and health. Drug or Substance misuse constitutes a direct threat to the operational effectiveness of the Armed Forces; the security and safety of Service personnel; and, potentially, the security and safety of the civilians whom they protect. Illegal misuse of drugs or substances by Service personnel also damages the reputation and standing of the Armed Forces. For all of these reasons, the misuse of drugs or substances is not tolerated within the Armed Forces. The Armed Forces recognise, however, that drug or substance misuse is increasingly common in civilian life, particularly among the young, and that you may have misused drugs or substances yourself in the past. This will not necessarily prevent you from enlisting, as all applications are considered individually. Acceptance into the Services will depend on the frequency of use and the class and type of drug or substance that has been misused. Criminal convictions for trafficking or supply of any class of drug or substance will bar entry.
Once you have joined the Armed Forces, you are required to stay clear of drugs or substances at all times and also to avoid association with drug or substance misusers and suppliers. Once you have been enlisted, you will be liable by law to random compulsory drug testing throughout your Service career. If these tests show that you have misused drugs or substances, it is Armed Forces policy that, with very few exceptions, you will be discharged."