PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde Crews to Strike
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2003, 06:15
Lloydm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Tun

What would I do?

Bite the bullet. If you can get more and not strike.......go for it but know when your stepping off the edge.

Your are outnumbered and in situations like this the smart thing is to smile take the money and learn from it.

Concorde F/E's are too small a group to fight and win. Victory goes to the big battalions. Dont look for support from others it will be a long time before the 320/777 fleet go and while they may "support you" you wont find them risking that position

If you strike you will be portrayed as sulking children depriving the public of their farewell to a British technological icon,and the whole labour force is getting shafted every day so dont look for sympathy elsewhere.

Here is what you should do IMHO

Get your grieivances into the public domain.

Let the management do the threatening.

Imply that you have all found alternative employment and you will be leaving prior to redundancy..................no one blaims anyone for moving on and protecting your family's livelihood. ( NB I dont know your contractural liability) .

The market has two edges to it's sword. It is the world of ME PLC and if the phone rings at 10 in the evening with a better offer dont feel guilty for wearing someone else's uniform the next morning while your rostered flight sits at the gate

When I was in Crabair the rule was: do it then whinge.

Two Scenarios:

Overpaid dinosaurs ruin last flight of something that made this country great......Jane Public who, when she found out Concorde would be retired early cashed in her savings so that her disabled son could experience his dream........"How could they do this to us?"

Or

Now that Concorde has been retired it has emerged that BA reneged on agreements with its Flight Engineers.
Their spokesman Two Tun told us that "BA went back on every agreement it had made with us, and it bodes no good for every BA employee". Strike action was discussed but dismissed.
almost immediately. We all knew the significance to the public of Concorde, but more importantly to the young ( Jane Publics son in scene) who will never have the opportunity to experience this very special aircraft. What made this day special for so many is due to the dedication of the crews. We were lied to, cheated and treated abonobilly but there was no way we were going to let people like this young man down( Jane Ps son still in scene)

Time I stopped now but you get the idea

My best wishes

Abominably.et al before Im corrected lol