PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 12:24
Danny42C

roving (#11408) - quoting pulse1,

Thank you for the link (one small cavil at the film: "RAAF" is Royal Australian Air Force; Royal Auxiliary Air Force is "R.Aux.A.F").

That said, how nice to see the lads and lasses of the Auxiliary Fighter Control Units get a bit of the limelight. As the Adj of No.3608 F.C.U. at Thornaby from 1951 - 1554, I had "a foot in both camps", as it were: for 608 flew from the same place, and as I had come off 20 Sqn, flying Vampires III and V, so they let me (indeed were obliged to let me) keep my hand in, flying with them.

So, on my "ground tour", I was able to do the admin for the unit, whose main task was to recruit local girls as Fighter Plotters and Radar Operators (we had 70 - 35 "pairs") under training, and also a handful of ex-wartime aircrew officers who learned the Fighter Control Officer job by "sitting next to Nellie" down the "hole" (Seaton Snook). On weekends, I could leave my two Auxiliary Adjutants to "mind the office" and went flying.

Happy Days ! (and I got me a wife as well, but not from the unit - you are not allowed to "fish off the Company Pier" !).

Danny.