PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting before IOT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 11:50
Blackfriar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how lucky are you?

I spent my childhood wanting to fly in the RAF. Air Training Corps at 13 through to 18, gliding wings and passed all the aptitude tests for fast jet at Biggin Hill but failed the eyesight. All I ever wanted to do was join the RAF and they wouldn't even let me fly at UAS because they were pandering to people like you with no commitment and good eyesight.
I went to University planning to go into the RAF in a ground role (Supply and Movements) but after three years at Uni, I went on IOT at Cranwell and Voluntarily Withdrew after 4 weeks.
There was no need to join an organisation where I had to do as I was told, without question, even if that meant getting killed to satisfy the whim of some stupid politician who didn't realise that withdrawing all support south of the equator would signal to Argentina that we couldn't care less.

I went into civil aviation and had an enjoyable time for 8 years before moving on. However nothing would have stopped me if i could have flown - Herc, Helicopter, Phantom/Tornado or even a Queen's Flight budgie.

If you can't tell the difference between fast jet and a PHD, then go and do the PHD, which is just putting off joining the real world for another few years. By using flying time in the UAS you have selfishly blocked someone else who cared.