PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Woodvale
Thread: RAF Woodvale
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 11:14
roving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olddog
As a former QFI/CO with happy memories of RAF Woodvale,
When my father rejoined the RAF in 1951, (having demobbed in early 1947 and joined 613 AAF Sqn, based at Ringway), his first posting was to MUAS as QFI/CFI.

As you will know MUAS was operating out of Ringway in the late 1940's, which was for the reasons you set-out completely unsuitable. It moved to Barton, which was particularly convenient for not only my parents, but for me as I attended Bridgewater School in Worsley. Ironically my father flew from Barton in 1938/39 with the Civil Air Guard. Then MUAS moved to Woodvale. Nice location. I recall seeing The Queen waving from a balcony on her Coronation tour of Britain and of many days on beaches which never ended, also the white round house which looked like it had once been a light house and lastly Lord Street.

I may be wrong, but I have the impression my father trained students from both Liverpool and Manchester, one of which won the D.H. trophy during his posting as an instructor.

Photos from that era attached..

On the seated photo my father is to the immediate left of the CO as we look at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Woodvale 1.jpg (1.10 MB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg
Woodvale 2.jpg (680.8 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by roving; 22nd Oct 2017 at 13:31. Reason: edited the last line