PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legality of Amy Johnson Initiative - Equality Act 2010
Old 21st Oct 2017, 15:58
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another morally bankrupt post.

2 wrongs don't make a right. You ought to have learnt that in kindergarten.

I've been in this industry a long time and it is certainly true that women didn't have the same opportunities to get started in flying. Probably the most significant aspect being that the military route was not open too them (think how many current pilots started in the military... remember to include the very many young commercial pilots who started in the UAS system). That disparity was closed in 1985, my second year at university. Anybody under 50 has had the same opportunities.

The reason there are so few women in flying is really simple.

It's a career, especially for a woman who wants to have children:
It takes a long time to get started and can wipe out a good chunk of the child bearing years.
It required huge investment for possibly no return.

(And no, I don't think companies should discriminate based on the potential for women to have children. However it affects the choices women themselves make. And yes, the following are sweeping generalisations that do not apply in every case)

Men have always had to go out and compete, to be successful and overproduce financially so they can support a family. That makes them accept risky career choices in the hope of a big pay off.

Women on the other hand can afford to be much more pragmatic about their career choices, and commercial flying is a utterly option. You've REALLY got to want to fly in order for it to make sense.

Speaking as someone involved with training and selection, the simple fact is that the imperatives of identity politics are currently giving women an inside track. Beyond that I cannot say for obvious reasons of confidentiality.

I am opposed to this.

It's really simple; you either believe in equality or you don't. Discrimination is never justified, no matter how it is worded ("Positive action").

Where is the "positive action" to beef up the numbers of men in the teaching or Medical professions?

Where is the "positive action" to beef up the number of women working in dangerous jobs so that we can get a more equal rate of workplace fatalities?

Ain't gonna happen is it?