PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair uses all the runway.
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2017, 00:00
Musician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to their license, TODA at Bristol is at 3016m, a full 1005m past the end of runway 27-you'll easily make 35' with an angle of ascent of only 0.6°. 10 seconds at 200kt with a vertical speed of 250 ft/min will also do it.

The plane is passing over an approach light at 2 seconds (60 frames) after it passes the runway end.

Originally Posted by .Scott
As far as the distances are concerned: I used a runway map, compared it to photographs of the airport to verify that it was true, downloaded it to my computer, brought it up in paint, and examined it at the pixel level.

Then I used the 2011 meters and the runway end markers to establish the exact scale. All other measurements were based on that.
I used a similar procedure. Where did you find your runway map? I had trouble getting the 2011m to match; my scale may have been off, but I concluded that it was the length of the whole tarmac, minus *one* of the small bits on the end (beyond the taxiway). (This source has the runway at 2027m.) But that may have been a measuring error -- though the taxiway entrance distances seemed to match up with the given TORAs. I was also assuming the markings are metric, in multiples of 5m, which may not be true.

Stepping through the downloaded video frame by frame still has some timing error as some frames are duplicated; and you need to estimate fractional frames if you want to be really accurate about speed determinations. The shadow method's accuracy suffers from the fact that the wing ends seem to oscillate up and down by about half a foot.

P.S.: The LDA for rwy 27 is 1881m. Counting my pixels, the distance from the white stripe marking the displaced threshold to the end of the tarmac is 1882m, so I think my scale is correct. But the 1938m LDA for rwy 09 would be excluding the piano keys at the start and excluding the stub of tarmac beyond taxiway A.

Last edited by Musician; 21st Oct 2017 at 00:26. Reason: postscript