PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting before IOT
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 22:07
2g or not 2g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aevu

I finished IOT very recently, and can echo some of the comments made here in terms of the critical need for motivation. You said that Cranwell would just be a case of playing the game, that is the cadet party line, what it does not mention is sometimes that game can get on every single nerve in your body. My mate and I going through would say "Jesus Christ I just want to fly planes!" to each other a good 3 to 4 times a week. If I was not absolutely sure of my ambition to get into the cockpit some day it may have been a different story. Just ask the poor buggers at Sandhurst.

UAS wise quite a few people, myself included, were a bit shocked at just how different the RAF is to the UAS (there was more to the RAF than just flying and drinking). Having said that we were still an incredibly social bunch, we had a no doors closed before 2200 rule, the bar was well attended, and we liked to go to the gym together. Those who closed their doors at 1700 everyday not to emerge again until the next morning were not seen in a good light.

Life post IOT, I have an 11 month hold now before I start EFT, and no one else on my IOT will be starting before me. But I speak to my mates most days, and they are all off doing station visits, sunning it up in Cyprus, or acting as sandbags from the back seats of Hawks. Others are in an office from 0800 until 1730 everyday. Luck of the draw, simple as that.

Mate essentially I am inclined to agree with what the others are saying. I have wanted to be an RAF pilot since I was old enough to want anything, and to hear others be given places when I know of some people with similar motivation to me who were turned down is a bit vexing. That slot you're umming and arrring about, some people would give everything they have to take it.

Cheers easy.