PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Varicocele Surgery and Hydrocele post surgery
Old 20th Oct 2017, 20:46
AngioJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Radgirl
Aha Angiojet, I suspect from your handle that you have a vested interest in the radiological option. I merely sit on the fence, being neither a surgeon nor radiologist

You are of course welcome to educate both OP and myself. I have observed the surgical procedure for decades with never an issue, so I would need to see some good reasons for advising a newer procedure. Also, I dont know where you are based, but where I am it would not be available locally and unless OP wanted to be wide awake, any sedation or anaesthesia would be a hassle to arrange.

But open to correction!
I think the scientific community is still out on which of the two options provides the best reduction in symptoms while offering the least risk of complications. TBH, I don't have a strong opinion on the matter either. However, given that the OP and most readers of these posts will be non-medics, I would be a bit more hesitant making recommendations, especially if available practice guidelines aren't 100% clear on the matter.

Finally, just to clarify, varicocele embolisation is usually done in LA only, with a smidgeon of midazolam as required. Works a treat...