PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting before IOT
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 18:10
dashman20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi OP.
Just seen your post and been beaten into replying by a host of individuals far more qualified than I!
What a lucky SOB you are to have the choice,but having said that it’s obviously not an easy one for you.I was once in your shoes but had the choice made for me in the lead up to GW1 when the RAF just stopped recruiting for a while....I then became too old!
Nearly 30 years down the road I occasionally think ‘what if.’However,I’ve had a fantastic civil flying career and funnily enough,worked with plenty of ex RAF guys of a very similar age to myself,nearly to a man they are convinced I didn’t miss much at the end of the game.What did strike me was the sheer amount of luck nearly all of them said they had in succeeding FJ training,almost saying that was the only reason they got through!
You have obviously got a great opportunity waiting for you to accept it,however unless you really think that you are up to the challenge,and not just fitting in at the bar,I think that you are correct to think about your motives.Its not just about flying.Its the same deliberation every member of the armed forces face at some stage....do you want to fight for your beliefs and are you willing to pay the price?
Good luck with your choice.