PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex ring
Thread: Vortex ring
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 15:34
CappyJax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Because you talked about it being a larger or smaller 'envelope' for avoidance of VRS - implying that the larger your 'envelope' the easier it is to get into VRS.

That is completely wrong and I would hate less experienced pilots to think that if you have a 'small envelope' in a lighter helo that you are safer and further away from VRS when it is exactly the opposite.

I think you should read what you have written and look back across the plethora of threads on pprune about VRS.

Don't talk about 'envelopes', it is counter-intuitive and utterly useless in the real world.

I have put some practical suggestions as to how to avoid VRS in my previous posts based on real-world situations and experience.

The only issues I have are with pilots not understanding how VRS can be encountered.

I said "The higher the gross weight (higher disk loading), and the higher the altitude creates a faster downwash and a larger envelope which to avoid. Albeit, at a higher ROD which may make it easier to avoid. The lower the gross weight (lower disk loading), and the lower the altitude creates a slower downwash and a smaller envelope to avoid. "

I didn't imply ANYTHING! I specifically said that it may be easier to avoid. And YES, the envelope is LARGER. I provided actual evidence of it using the prescribed FORMULA! I am not spouting a belief like you. Seriously dude, you remind me of AvBug! At least try reading and understand what someone is saying before you attack them for saying the EXACT SAME THING AS YOU!