PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting before IOT
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 15:11
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the thread title - he is not considering "quitting". IMHO he is considering his life choices. As a flt cdr at the Towers in the 80s I had an issue with cadets being described as "failing" The RAF selected them and trained them, but "they" failed. Not in my book, and furthermore if they "failed to reach the standard required for commissioning, they needed to go on to other things without carrying a "failure" label. In a few instances I had cadets in my charge who clearly should not have been there. In one case it was because his father was RAF and "told" his son to follow in his footsteps. In another case the stude had been brought up by a single Mum, and had been taught never to put his head above the parapet. He finally asked to VW (resign) the Friday before Black Monday (results) but I sent him away for the weekend and think about what he wanted to do. He transferred to NCO aircrew, was successful and later commissioned. Youngest W mentioned earlier in the thread, qualified as a Yachtmaster Offshore, commercially endorsed, at 20, decided to go to uni and earned a BSc in yacht building and survey, got hooked into computer aided design. Worked on contract to National Grid, and had to go and talk to farmers about wayleaves and address public meetings. That really hit the spot, and he is now with an infrastructure surveyors and about to start a the ARICS course. Let life take you where it will. At least I have a very happy and contented 29 year old son.