PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting before IOT
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 13:58
roving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the views above.

I grew up on Royal Air Force stations. My dad only ever - save for a couple of years flew for a living spanning a period of more than 40 years. My father's desk would be covered in beautiful maps with carefully drawn lines on them. His book case full of books on flying. That is not to say he no other interests. He was a very good pianist and liked fast cars and travel. But his raison d'être was flying.

In common with Herod, my dad had also dreamt of flying from being knee high. He even made a mock- up joystick as a young boy..

I knew however from a young age that it was not for me. I chose an entirely different profession where I could use my cerebral skill set and communication skills as an advocate.

Flying particularly in military service, like other professions including my own, requires total commitment of body and soul. Like a successful long distance runner it is not a question of having to go that extra mile in training, it is a case of wanting to go that extra mile to be the best.